So if you know anything about me, you know that I love to read. I remember when I was a kid my mom would ground me from reading. I would sit in my room for days, only coming out to use the bathroom and eat. This is not a joke. I loved books. I would stay up all night with a flashlight under my covers just to find out what was going to happen next. This wasn't a phase I grew out of...I would skip class in High School and go to the Barnes & Nobles where I would sit on those leather seats with a stack of books for hours. Talk about nerdy.
So everyone is all hyped up about Twilight this and Twilight that. But here is my opinion from a literature standpoint:
If you are the type of person who likes books that are full of action, have great character development, an intriguing plot, are imaginative, characters you can relate to, and a suspenseful story line, read Harry Potter. I promise they aren't just "kids" books. I wasn't a believer until I read them. (Also don't judge the series on the first 2 books) 3-7 will change your life forever. I compare it to eating a hamburger- all the different layers; meat, cheese, sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles...mmmm. Makes for a great meal.
The Twilight series is more like a big cheese sandwich. Its a super easy read filled with a lot of fluff. If you wonder why they are a huge teenage hit its because it was written for teenagers. Don't get me wrong, I am in awe of Edwards perfectness and fell in love with Jacobs muscles just like every other sappy girl who has read the series. And I have to give credit to a pretty creative story line. For me, it got good by about the 3rd book. It took some patience and a few snowy days for me to get through the first 2. So here is my advice. If you haven't read the Twilight books yet- just do it already. And if Harry Potter ever had to fight Edward, I would take Harry's side.

I agree. 100%. Not good literature, but VERY entertaining. Stephanie Meyer took every fantasy a girl could possibly have, whether they would admit to it or not, and made it actuality. You want all the boys to love you and you don't know why? Done. You wish that boy would never wear a shirt. Why not? And wouldn't it be nice if your boyfriend stayed in your room all night, playing with your hair and such while you slept? You can have that too. Thanks Stephanie!
ReplyDeleteOh...The good old days...Skipping class to go to Barnes & Noble. I love and miss that bookstore...and those days...
ReplyDelete