I got online this morning and came across this picture:
I don't know if the pregnancy hormones are kicking, but this image made me cry.
Her fiance died fighting for our country 3 years ago and this was her first time to his grave since his passing. The photographer said she laid there and sobbed. They were going to get married when he returned.
Broke my heart.
I found this quote and thinks it is so perfect:
"...I'll never know what it feels like to leave my family behind and fight for our country.
But I do know how it feels to exercise freedom. I know what it feels like to fly a kite, eat berries fresh off the vine, wade barefoot down a cool stream, skip rocks at the lake, go to a rodeo, sing on stage, watch animals at the zoo. I know what it feels like to count the stars, sip lemonade during a Maui sunset, eat at Taco Bell for lunch and again for dinner, and write my name on the sand at the beach. I know what it feels like to have a pillow fight, hit a home run, lie in a meadow and watch the cloud races, ride a good horse on a beautiful mountain, and listen to bluegrass music while lounging on the hammock.
I know what it feels like buy an ice-cream cone on a scorching summer day and try to eat it before it melts down my arm. I know what it feels like have a milk moustache contest with my kids. I know what it feels like hold my dear wife close and dance the night away in a parking lot during a rainstorm.
In short -- I know what it feels like to pursue happiness. I feel confident in saying that I would not know that pursuit without the service of all of the fine men and women who now, and in the past, have worn the uniform, bore the burden, and bought our freedom. The men and women who are cut from the cloth that puts honor above personal desire, those who have chosen an occupation guaranteeing our emancipation; those who daily sacrifice for our daily freedoms.This holiday weekend -- between the burgers and the dogs, and with all of the civilian respect I can muster -- I salute all of the veterans and soldiers who courageously have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice their time, lifestyle and lives in the service of this great country."
- Tug Gettling


Amen!
ReplyDeleteI love this Jenny, I think we all forget too easily the freedoms that we enjoy everyday. And that we have so many people in the past and currently to thank for that. Its crazy that our freedom is something that someone is always going to fight for. I am grateful that enough people are courageous enough that my husband doesn't have to because i couldn't handle knowing he was risking his life everyday. Love your guts JR.
ReplyDeletethanks.
ReplyDelete