A few things I've learned:
- Babies eat every 2-3 hours around the clock. (you may be thinking, well duh! we tried to tell you!) Well what I didn't know was that it takes about 30-45 minutes to feed and then they need to be changed, burped and often coaxed back to sleep almost after feeding. Tack on another 15-30 minutes.
- So to the non mommies out there, you may be thinking what I thought. That you get to sleep for 2-3 hours until you do this again. Nope. That hour or so is INCLUDED in the 2-3 hours feeding schedule. And if your baby is like mine, his internal clock is pretty dang accurate to the real clock.
- By the time you complete this cycle and make your way back to your warm bed and begin to doze off, you hear it. Those mommy ears are on an entirely new radar. Its time to jump back on the carousel and do it again.
- Nursing hurts at first. Unless your nipples are made of stone, it feels like a barracuda latches on and bites you a million times with those tiny needle/knife teeth. (even if they are latched on right) My subconscious was even in pain as few days into nursing I had a dream that Josh bit off my nipple and swallowed it...true story.
- On more of a positive note, so much of being a parent is natural and instinctive.
- Nursing actually does get better with time
- I feel like the Grinch when his heart grows 3 sizes that it practically bursts out of his chest. I didn't know I had more room in my heart for all this love!
- Baby smell is addicting. They should bottle it.
- Not all babies like to be swaddled
- Is it me or do Dads all of a sudden become more attractive after you have a baby? I could watch my two boys together all day.
- You know when sometimes you hear your phone ring but its really not? The phantom ring? The same goes for baby cry. Phantom cry can be very confusing.
- I woke up cradling a pillow thinking it was Josh. There was a brief moment of anxiety because I thought I had suffocated him.
- I woke up another time holding onto Keith's arm thinking it was Josh. Had another brief moment of anxiety because I couldn't figure out how Josh had lost so much weight.
Josh makes the funniest faces while he sleeps...!
| And sometimes he even smiles... |
| Here he is peacing out...;) |

oh he cute! he small. I will eat him.
ReplyDeletei miss him!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness...i need to take a bite!!! I love all the silly faces babies make, it's awesome! You are bringing back loads of memories...been there! love you sister!
ReplyDeleteCongrats again! He is adorable. I feel like I am reading my life when I had Zuri! The sleep gets better...and they continue to melt your heart:)
ReplyDeletewww.spencerandkatietaggart.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteLove you guys and your little man!